FtW Bloggers Group

Thursday 16 June 2011

Dark Eldar Talos

Photobucket

Hi,
I don't wanna spend close to 100e on triple talos, before I've had the chance to try whether they actually work. Thus, there's a picture for you guys of my first converted talos.

So, the question really is, are Talos better then Ravagers? Of course, that depends on the build, but generally it would seem that the cheap price per lance that you pay on ravagers is better. However, My test games got me thinking. The ravagers go down really fast, and thus normally contribute 1, max 2 rounds of shooting. In a CC orientated army, would the Talos have more synergy? Haven't tried them on the table, but in my opinion they open up a few builds. Here's a list:

5 Haemonculi incl. 1 webway portal @ 285pts.

8 Blood Brides with haywire grenades incl. syren with agoniser @ 150pts.
Raider with enhanced aethersails @ 65pts.

8 Wyches with haywire grenades incl. Hekatrix with agoniser @ 126pts.
Raider @ 60pts.

8 Wyches with haywire grenades incl. hekatrix with agoniser @ 126pts.
Raider @ 60pts.

8 Wyches with haywire grenades incl. hekatrix with agoniser @ 126pts.
Raider @ 60pts.

8 Wyches with haywire grenades incl. hekatrix with agoniser @ 126pts.
Raider @ 60pts.

3 Wracks @ 30pts.
Venom with 2x cannons @ 65pts.

3 Wracks @ 30pts.
Venom with 2x cannons @ 65pts.

Talos with haywire blaster @ 105pts.

Talos with haywire blaster @ 105pts.

Talos with haywire blaster @ 105pts.

Total @ 1749pts.

5 lances, 4 splinter cannons. That sure doesn't look impressive. However, this list plays similar to the Necron build I was playing: suppression fire (or combat in this case) followed by MC CC attacks to destroy tanks. The Talos will survive for longer then the ravagers. The list has a webway portal, but I'm not intending on using it in each game, it just gives me more options (e.g. some armies absolutely fear t7 in CC, and a portal in the middle of the board with pain engines in reserve can spook them).

The problem with the talos is, that they are slow. I'm expecting them to come in later in the game, and either charge tanks that need to be destroyed (and haven't been by the haywire grenades) or bring armour save ignoring attacks into combats involving the wyches (that's why this list doesn't include incubi). t7 MC in the midfield are still a huge advantage late into the game. I'm hoping the 40 fnp wyches will keep my opponent busy (or reserving the talos). The haywire blasters are great for suppressing fire support vehicles that my wyches can't afford to charge (hello vendettas and predators).

So, what do you guys think? I love the new talos models, so if this works I'll get to buy and use them, but I haven't tried it yet. Could it work? We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is in no way affiliated with Games Workshop. Any and all Intellectual Property contained on this blog is used without licensed permission from Games Workshop, no harm intended.